Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Murray KY BBQ contest July 3rd and 4th





We had a great time in Murray KY and Murray had 26 Pro BBQ teams which made it a qualifier ( more to this story later). So, This is the first time that we have taken the family with us on a BBQ trip. My parents stayed at a RV park about 3 miles from the contest. They arrived on Thursday and scoped out the location for us. I left Franklin at 7:00 am Friday morning with my wife and child. Jay left Searcy Ark about 6:30 Friday morning and Page left Franklin around 8:00 am Friday morning with the whole family in tow.

I had no problems with travel -- the horse trailer pulled great even over some very small bridges going over Kentucky Lake and Cumberland River. I picked up my Dad and he drove us downtown and we found our spot across from Smokey Mountain Smokers, Swiggin Pig and beside ShadeTree Cooks and Lets get Drunkn and Q. I started setting up with my dad and wife prior to the rest of the team arriving ( this didn't work so well because I wanted to get the meat prepared and my wife wanted to set-up site first). Needless to say it was great to have everyone arrive and my wife and dad left so we could finish site up. Our families head to the Hotel and we caught-up with Barry of Swiggin Pig and got to meet some new teams. We also got to talk with Jim and Terry of previous TN Trio. They are cooking under Becky Sue BBQ team now.

So, we go to the cooks meeting at 4:30 and we find out that we don't have but 24 teams so this will not be a qualifier. So, After the meeting I spoke with Jim and Terry since Terry had his own cooker and they had plenty meat ---they split to give us 25 teams. I had also told them if they could find another team I had an extra butt and brisket that they could be cooked. Later that night they found a team that would cook so they took the brisket and butt.

We had a great dinner with the whole families --I cooked Hamburgers (homemade) and hot dogs on the gas grill that was attached to the trailer of Becky Sues BBQ team. We also celebrated Lindy's Birthday with some cake.

This would have been a great contest except for the JACK (picture above)-- I passed out at 2:30am - and didnt recover until about 10am.

So here are the results:
Chicken 23 out of 26
Ribs 25 out of 26
Pork 12 out of 26
Brisket 14 out of 26
My donate meat finished
Pork 23 out of 26
brisket 8 out of 26

Great Event ---- Loved the downtown and courthouse

No comments: